Mr. Jaen received his BFA in Costume Design degree from NYU and MA in Theater Education degree from Emerson College. He is a USITT (United States Institute for Theater Technology) and USA 829 (United Scenic Artist) member. He has been designing costumes for over 25 years and he has worked in projects produced in the USA, Spain, Scotland and Venezuela. His design work has been featured in full-page articles in the Boston Globe, Boston Herald and national publications such as LIVE DESIGN magazine. His journal articles have been published in USITT's SightLines, Theatre Design & Technology (TD &T) and LIVE DESIGN magazines.
Costume Design Credit Highlites
- American Repertory Theater: No Exit, Winter'07 (Elliot Norton Award 2006 nomination, IRNE Award 2007 for Best Director)
- Beaujest: The Remarkable Rooming House of Mme. LeMonde, Tennessee Williams Provincetown Festival, Fall '09 (Hubbie Award for Best Costume Design and IRNE Award Nomination for Best Costume Design 2009 and IRNE Award 2009 for Best Visiting Production)
- Emerson Stage: Grease, Spring Musical, April '06, Midsummer Night's Dream, Fall '07, Little Women, Fall '08, Esperanza Rising, Fall '09, Light Up The Sky, Fall '10
- Lyric Stage Company of Boston: Urinetown, Fall'05(IRNE Award 2006 for Best Musical Production, IRNE Award nomination for Best Costume Design); 9 Parts of Desire, Fall '06 (IRNE Award 2007 for Best Solo Performance); See What I Wanna See, Winter'07 (Full page feature article in LIVE DESIGN magazine; Elliot Norton Award Nominee for Best Musical Production 2007); Man of La Mancha, Fall'07(IRNE Award 2008 for Best Musical); Follies, Fall'08; Kiss me Kate, Fall'09 (Hubbie Award for Best Costume Design and IRNE Award Nomination for Best Costume Design 2009); Nicholas Nickleby, Fall'10 (Elliot Norton Award and IRNE Award Nomination for Best Costume Design 2010),
- New Repertory Theatre: The Misanthrope, Winter '08; Boston Marriage, Fall '10; DollHouse, Winter '11
- Opera Boston: Alceste, Winter '06 (Boston Globe’s full-page article by critic Richard Dyer)
- PBS/WGBH TV Series American Experience: Sister Aimee, documentary April'07; God in America, October '10 (Front Line UK Co-Producer)
- Publick Theatre: Arcadia, Summer '05 (Elliot Norton Award 2006 winner for Best Production); Beard of Avon and Copenhagen, Summer '06; Design for Living, Winter '07 (Boston Globe’s feature article by Catherine Foster); Travesties, Winter '08; Seagull & Hay Fever, Summer '08
- Speak Easy: The Seafarer, Fall'08
Mr. Jaen is currently the Costume Design Advisor at Emerson College where he is part of the Design-Tech Faculty. Mr. Jaen has chaired portfolio reviews and presented workshops at the USITT Design Expo and he is currently the Vice-Chair for the USITT Costume Commission Student Initiatives. He is the recipient of a USITT 2008 Grant for his project: Modern Tailoring Techniques for Men’s Period Costumes.
In addition he is Co-Chair for Design, Technologies & Management at the prestigious Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) Region 1. He has also been a respondent and workshop presenter for the Region IV, Region VIII and at the National Festival in Washington DC. He is the recipient of an Outstanding Teacher Artist certificate for KCACTF Region 1, 2007. He is the author of Maintaining and Developing a Design-Tech Portfolio and SHOW CASE both published by Focal Press/ ELSEVIER INC.